Friday, June 5, 2009

Peculiarities of Glasgow


Hi, there are certain very peculiar things of this city of Glasgow. Day by day, I come to witness new things and I am being amazed at each and every moment. Here are some of them:
  • People out here don't use horns at all. In a jam, no matter how long the car-queue is, people sit back, relax, read newspapers or listen to music, but never do they use horns. That's a sight that I had never seen earlier.
  • I could see more pets walking on the road than homo-sapiens themselves. It seems that almost everyone has a pet out here. Meanwhile, there are no stray animals on the road. I miss my Indian roads, with no traffic rules for animals.
  • People here are animal-loving, it seems so, since here birds like pigeons and sparrows do not run away if you go near them. People definitely love animals as well as their taste. McDonalds and Burger King out here carry a tag-line '100% pure beef!'
  • The population is very health conscious and therefore are fit. One could see people running on the footpaths all round the day. Exercising is as important part of the daily life as attending nature's call.
  • The engineering students here are very well versed with programming, in all kinds of languages.
  • People are very courteous. They hold doors until every person of the group passes through the door. If my eyes cross through any other person, a sudden beautiful smile is what I am bestowed with.
  • Music is a part of every home. There are people with varied instruments performing at every street side. Violin, harp, saxophone, guitar, tamba, accordian and what-not, it seems to be a very ingredient of this culture. Even all my group-mates know how to play one instrument at least.
  • The typing speed of everyone is almost like mega-racer. It seems that they have been given professional coaching for speed-typing, my professor's typing speed seems to be about 90-100 wpm. Earlier I used to think that I am really fast at typing with 62 wpm, but now I have developed inferiority complex.
  • There are good people out here too. The way serials like 'How I met your mother' or 'Friends' have portrayed the west seemed to be untrue. Life-long relationships do exist here, much like India. My Professor and his wife Ana make a very lovely pair. However, there are a bunch of people who are perverted since I could see from posters of some eye-dazzling events every now and then alongside the road but I haven't encountered anyone like that in my University.
P.S. I am loving this foreign land. Earlier I used to miss my home, my friends and my country but now I am happy with this two months seclusion from everything I was addicted to. It has brought me closer to myself and made me reflect upon subtle things that are important to me.

No comments: